Chapter Eight; Working With Children & Other Animals

Dear Reader,

I have recently started helping out at my local Brownies group, I was once a Brownie myself in the late 90's early 2000's and fellow Brownies of that era will be saddened to hear that alas, the mud brown culottes did not last.

As a 23 year old, being surrounded by around 20-ish 7-9 year olds is slightly daunting. Some of the girls are sweet and shy, some talkative and wanted to tell you all about their lives no matter how lengthy and unrelated the story, and some are just wonderfully nutty. All, however have the power to lift or dive bomb an adults confidence at the blink of an eye. I call it the rise and fall of self confidence at the hands of small people.

N.B. I do not consider myself an adult but one must act the part when one is in charge of said children. Even if you want to cry following an empowering talk with a young girl about skin care when she tells you "yeah you have a massive spot on your head".

I have learnt a few things about working with children over the past months;

1) When playing a friendly game of snap or memory, it is not proper adult etiquette to jump up and shout "I WIN LOSERS!" just because one of the girls pointed out at the beginning of the game how badly you were doing.

2) Remember who you're talking to...
Child: What do you do as a job?
Suzie: I'm an event manager
Children:.........
Suzie: Ah yes, children. I'm a party planner.
Children: CAN YOU PLAN US A PARTY?! WE WANT FOOD AND BANNERS AND PONIES AND BALLOONS AND MUSIC AND DANCING AND DISCO BALLS AND PRINCESSES AND CATS AND SWEETS (the list goes on)
Suzie: What's your budget?

And finally number 3)

When a girl says "I don't like your ring" about your favourite skull ring that one of your music idols also owns and wears, it is not okay to reply with "It doesn't like you either"...no matter how funny it sounded in your head.

Good night dear reader,

S.P.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter Twenty Two - Quater Life Crisis

Chapter Seventeen: Do The Locamotion Part II

Chapter Eighteen: The Battle For The 17:30