Chapter Ten; Everybody's Talking 'Bout A New Way Of Walkin'...

...Do You Want To Lose Your Mind?

Dear Reader,

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that you have been talking about my next subject as much as anyone else has...Clowns. Poor misunderstood clowns. Not so much clowns but the people inside the clown costumes. I mean good grief...

When the craze first started in America I saw it mentioned on Facebook, I had been reading an article just before I saw it about Stephen King's famous novel 'IT' being made into a film once again. It had just finished filming so they were attempting to create some hype around it.

Now for those who do not know, the leading character in Stephen King's 'IT' is a clown called Pennywise. He is really quite scary, feel free to Google if you wish...in the morning, and he morphs into the shape of whatever children fear the most. Following the last months siege of clowns, I would assume that this is quite possibly what children are most afraid of currently.
After seeing the article about people dressing as clowns after the article about 'IT' I did initially think that all the clowns running around were possibly a publicity stunt for the new film, (especially as a great many of the clown costumes are Pennywise costumes), but when Stephen King himself denied it I knew this was something else.

It seemed to spread like a cult, a super creepy, global clown infestation.

I don't live in a heavily populated city which means it's less likely for me to come across someone dressed as a clown, however I have leant a thought to what I would do should I meet a clown... Now my first thought was obviously to run, but then I took a moment to think, maybe if you said something or did something they would be caught off guard and become more human and less frightening. I have read that if you are being mugged or attacked you should shout something at your attacker to confuse them, for example 'WHAT'S PYTHAGORUS' THEOREM?!' Throw them off balance I suppose.
So I started to wonder what you could say to a scary clown to throw them off track. How about asking for a selfie? That could work, I'm sure they wouldn't be expecting that!

However...

The overall serious issue with talking to or standing up to a person dressed as a clown is also the ultimate point of a costume.... You have no idea who is underneath. You don't know if the person standing in the dark just outside that forest is a teenager who would run away as soon as confronted or whether they are using the clown costume cult as a literal disguise to get away with hurting people. You only need to confront the wrong person and you could be in serious trouble.

So my advice, dear reader, should you choose to accept it is this; do not attempt to shout "WHAT IS PYTHAGORUS' THEOREM?!" in the face of a clown as you might be one of the unlucky ones.

They would make for some brilliantly odd last words mind you.

Stay safe Witches and Jellyspoons, and happy Halloween Eve...

S.P.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter Twenty Two - Quater Life Crisis

Chapter Seventeen: Do The Locamotion Part II

Chapter Six; Darkness Fell...Bang